canberrabirds

FW: [canberrabirds] Conspicuous by their absence

To: <>
Subject: FW: [canberrabirds] Conspicuous by their absence
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2013 17:04:32 +1100

OK  -  sorry, didn’t take the question seriously.  Before where have they gone: what is the reason for recent roosting aggregations of SNIs in Callum Brae, and even more at Mulligans?  HANZAB draws attention to annual migration patterns following food and says that not all ibis breed each year. There are numbers of juveniles/immatures.  The large aggregations indicate food availability here.  The main nesting is in colonies further down the Murray/Murrumbidgee and in Victoria.  Does the sudden absence of the Callum Brae roost indicate they have moved there to nest?

I would say ‘unlikely’.  It is getting late for nesting to be initiated.  Moreover, breeding birds would be in full breeding plumage and probably engaging in some display.  Therefore, I would think the roosting flocks are of birds not nesting this season, and their movements are determined by food availability.  Perhaps they have left the district, perhaps not.  That is only my explanation.  I may be wrong. Then again, perhaps some have gone to nest, and others are just following food, or they might all be back tomorrow.