canberrabirds

A FSP avenue

To: "'canberra birds'" <>
Subject: A FSP avenue
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2013 16:29:03 +1100
Great ideas there. I (likely along with many other people reading this), contributed some days to tree planting efforts at Kellys swamp years ago, and if the effective area of improved habitat can be expanded over the road that would be good. It does need to be well considered though and allow for that (as others have written) many birds use rubbish trees too, so in terms of birds, it may be best to start planting of beneficial vegetation before removing all the invasives. But I am no expert on the practicalities of doing that. My only other comment on the subject is as before (and I would hope is obvious) that is we need to be mindful that the FSP are managed on behalf of the whole ACT community (taxpayers) primarily for that purpose and that any plans we might wish for need to work within those constraints.

I am very confident (or at least hope) that no person on this list would think that these ideas are a waste of time or not generally agreed with.

Philip

-----Original Message-----From: [ Sent: Wednesday, 23 October 2013 2:41 PM
To: Susanne Gardiner; Mark Clayton; 'Laura Johnson'      Cc: 'canberra birds'      Subject: Re: [canberrabirds] A FSP avenue

One reason members of COG Committee have not responded so far, is many of us have been very busy these last 2 wks with (inter alia) the Fenner School Mulligans Flat/Goorooyarroo surveys.
Personally, I like the concept & support most of the ideas already proposed. The environment at Kellys Swamp has been greatly improved over the last 20 or so years from what to me was an outstanding exhibit of exotic weeds.
FSP should follow.
COG should talk to ACT Govt, GA and ANPS about planning, species, planting strategy and removal of weeds & even consider some financial support for an agreed project.

Cheers,

Bruce.