canberrabirds

Uses of Bird Photography, revisited #1

To: <>
Subject: Uses of Bird Photography, revisited #1
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2013 17:52:40 +1100

#1  -  to enable recognition of an individual bird

Having just returned from a few days in Victoria I inflict on you further reflections on the above theme (prompted by a particular incident to be disclosed later, if I get that far).  Last Wednesday afternoon in the Chiltern forest I came across this chap, no doubt one of last year’s releases.  Evidently its recognition is important to someone.  Of course you don’t always need a photo.  An observer can walk through a colony of Regent Honeyeaters saying to their note-taker – or audio recording device – “and next we have old white over metal and green over red -  er, hang on, that might be green over orange ….”.  The point about  a photo is that it is further evidence in the event the verbal record is doubted for some reason, perhaps uncertainty - or colour-blindness -  of the observer.  This means, I suppose, that EVERY photo, being evidence of something, is of some use, but, to be frank about it, only a small percentage will be of real use, in practice.