canberrabirds

birding trip to Lake Cargelligo and Round Hill NR

To: <>
Subject: birding trip to Lake Cargelligo and Round Hill NR
From: "Wayne Gregson" <>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2013 22:25:26 +1000
Peter Roberts (former COG President now living at Merimbula) and I spent a couple of days this week at Lake Cargelligo and were rewarded with fine weather and a reasonable number of birds.

Highlights were White-fronted and Black Honeyeaters, Crested Bellbird, Splendid and White-winged Fairy Wrens, Baillon’s and Australian Spotted Crakes and Sharp-tailed Sandpiper.  There were also hundreds (if not thousands) of White-browed Woodswallows on the road to Round Hill.  They were flying low and often landing near us and constantly calling – quite a distraction when we were trying to listen for other species.

We were surprised to find Australian Shelduck (I thought they were called Mountain Duck!) and White-eared Honeyeater out there also.

All up 107 species for the trip of which around 90 at or near Lake Cargelligo.

A disappointing aspect of the trip was the lack of parrots – both variety of species and overall numbers.  We came home via Rankin’s Springs and Griffith hoping to see Major Mitchells and various parrot species but no luck.

Well worth a visit before it gets too hot although we were told by the ranger that Round Hill NR will be closed from tomorrow for a fox-baiting program.