canberrabirds

masked lapwings help please

To: "'jude hopwood'" <>
Subject: masked lapwings help please
From: "Peter Ormay" <>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 19:03:51 +1000
Hello Jude,
Would it be possible to accommodate both the students and the lapwings in the courtyard by erecting wire netting or fishnet over the garden part? Having lapwings breeding and seeing the chicks grow and fledge would be a great educational experience for the children. Would the courtyard be big enough to sustain a family of lapwings? They may have to be removed to nearby playing fields or other open ground after a few days once the chicks have hatched.

I agree with Phillip that it is probably illegal to interfere with native birds or their nests.

I suggest contacting the National Parks and Wildlife Service. They may be able to come and view the situation and suggest a solution.

Keep us informed.

Peter