canberrabirds

masked lapwings help please

To: COG <>
Subject: masked lapwings help please
From: jude hopwood <>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 16:57:00 +1000
Dear All Informed and Knowledgeable Ones,

I teach in a school in Goulburn with an enclosed courtyard.  A pair of lapwings has now made its third attempt to raise young here and the gardener has removed the first two sets of eggs.  The children have raised garden beds which they wish to attend and are continually attacked by the lapwings.

Is there any way we can discourage the birds from continued nesting attempts?  I fear greater retribution will be wreaked otherwise. Would hanging a hawk shape above the guttering help in anyone's experience?

 I would like the birds to suffer less stress and find another more suitable spot - but I can see why they like it.  Protection from wind and land-based predators - other than human, that is. Apparently they have done this each year for the past few years since renovations, but no-one much used the courtyard at this time and the gardener apparently takes the eggs and tosses them!  Would the CSIRO be interested in any further eggs removed, does anyone know?

In anticipation of Offerings of Great Wisdom,
Jude