canberrabirds

re Callum Brae and RSPCA

To: "'Cog line'" <>
Subject: re Callum Brae and RSPCA
From: "Julian Robinson" <>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 16:17:39 +1000

Me too - the lessees were very explicit to me that they ‘owned’ that site.  I saw the farmer doing farm things in there a few months ago.

I sincerely hope the RSPCA is not going on that block because dogs barking are disruptive to the reserve’s value (to some of us) as a haven of tranquillity.  Worse, it is possible the dogs at the RSPCA will want to talk to the dogs in the dog pound on the other side of Mugga Lane.  The dog pound is bad enough as it is and having mutually encouraged barking from two directions will not be an improvement.

I’m very curious to see what happens to the old zoo site.  I guess grazing is as good an outcome as we could hope for even though they’ve removed all the excellent small bird habitat.  This lease was for sale a year or two ago but I don’t know who bought it – maybe you know Sandra?  It seems a strange place to graze because it is so small – about 8 hectares or 2-10 cattle.

Julian

www.flickr.com/photos/ozjulian/

In Oregon -- Counts of birds and measurements of vegetation were made in the summer of 1981 and 1982. Increased frequency of grazing on an annual basis corre-lated significantly with decrease in bird abundance, shrub volume, and shrub heights. The longer the time since a transect was last grazed correlated significantly with increases in bird abundance. shrub volume, and shrub heights. Bird abundance increased significantly with increased shrub volume and taller shrub heights. Bird species richness decreased with incrnsed grazing. Bird counts were 5 to 7 time! higher on an area ungrazed since 1940 than on 2 areas grazed annually until 1980, and 11 to 13 times higher than on a transect severely disturbed by extensive grazing and dredging activities. Disturbances from camper activities also appeared to reduce bird populations.