canberrabirds

olive-backed orioles on Callum Brae

To: "'Margaret Leggoe'" <>, <>
Subject: olive-backed orioles on Callum Brae
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2013 15:16:55 +1000
Winter presence of them here is unusual but not new.

As for the call: A quick look in the index of one ref book I have lists two presumably quite separate families of Orioles, each with many species. One is mostly American distribution. You have probably heard of the Baltimore Oriole, that is orange & black. The other family is mostly Asian and Australian-Pacific distribution. Whether any of them are named in respect of a call saying “Oriole”, that I don't know. But for the olive-backed oriole it is usually a fair description. Whether some or all members of either or both families make similar noises or are presumably similar in other ways (such as colour or shape) I don't know. It may be all or none of these factors that lead to our bird being called an Oriole (in the same way that our Magpie is very different from "true" magpies, and so many other similar stories).