canberrabirds

RE: Wobbly old man resting. -ID query

To: "'Margaret Leggoe'" <>
Subject: RE: Wobbly old man resting. -ID query
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 16:56:21 +1000
Hi Margaret,

Sorry, I was not doubting your ability to tell the sex of a mammal. I was only going by what I could see in that first photo, which did not show the relevant bits. On the basis of accepting that the 2nd photo is the same animal. Yes that is a male, it shows the relevant bits. had suggested the arms look substantial enough to be a male. Which is one of the easiest ways to tell, when you can't see the relevant bits. Even so I don't believe I have seen a male macropod sit like that, so that is curious and worth mentioning.

Removing bits is different from just seeing a photo that does not show those bits. You did not tell us it was a male, or that you had seen the relevant bits at the time, so I did not know that. The only clue was from the header of Wobbly old man. Which I didn't take as literal, it could all be an often used pun: wobbly - wallaby. As it is not actually a man either and the word "man" is regularly used as denoting both sexes of the species of human. So there was a hint but no real evidence from your earlier posting that it was a male. So I was guessing as to whether the point being the question being about its sex, rather than the species of wallaby, or even - for me now to be a little bit silly, but you did write "man" - what subclass of mammal: marsupial or placental.

So here is a quiz for everyone: How can you distinguish whether a male mammal is a marsupial or placental if all you can see is its genitals and know which end is the head end and which end is the tail end of the animal?