canberrabirds

Lake Rd ducks etc

To: canberrabirds <>
Subject: Lake Rd ducks etc
From: Erika Roper <>
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2013 17:37:38 +1000
Went for a quick drive down Lake Rd this afternoon.

At 4.50 on the big dam I counted 8 pink eared ducks, 7 freckled ducks and one shoveler. There were more birds out there but they were too far for me to see with just binoculars. The freckled ducks were rather obliging, feeding in the shallow water at the edge closest to the fence/road. No photos unfortunately as my camera battery died just as I got there.

There was also a large flock (30+ birds) of crimson rosellas feeding on the acacias near the broken windmill and small water tank. They were also feeding on some sort of low shrub or grass, as well as drinking from the water tank. Mainly juvenile and subadult birds, with a couple that seemed to be in full adult plumage mixed in.