canberrabirds

Counting C Myna in GBS

To: "'Bob Rusk'" <>, "'Chris Davey'" <>, "'Sue Lashko'" <>, "'Paul Fennell'" <>, "'canberrabirds chatline'" <>
Subject: Counting C Myna in GBS
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2013 14:06:17 +1000
Hi Bob,

I think you missed my earlier message from Sunday, quoting the GBS instructions that date back 20 years. Which was a clarification (I designed after discussions with  others) to avoid the vagueness of the instructions of V1 & V2 of the GBS charts. "USE of the garden is explicitly not a criterion for counting for the GBS." Obviously and before anyone asks, that does not mean that birds that use the garden are excluded, it means that there is no need for the survey participant to even consider whether or not the birds present in the area are "using" the area. This is simply because such thought hopefully avoids survey inconsistencies in which different people might have different ideas on what is meant by the word "use" and it overly complicates the survey method to need to decide on this issue, when at the end of each week you are already considering multiple counts of multiple species on multiple days.

In any case in your question, the bird was free living and alive there (before it died or in Paul's question before it was trapped) that is good enough. If however there is reasonable expectation that a bird found dead could or is likely to have been transported there after dying, by hurricane, storm water, human transport or some predator and it is not beyond reasonable doubt that it had been alive there, then I would be inclined to leave it out of a GBS record. But as we are asking about a common bird of which others surely are in the area anyway, what does it matter? Also if one finds a dead bird that could have been dead for weeks or months and can be identified by feathers or skeletal features but too difficult to know what week it would have been present alive in the area, I would not include it on GBS. But surely for one to even bother asking the question, it would need to be a rare species and there are better ways to retain that information if it is.