canberrabirds

Counting C Myna in GBS

To: Paul Fennell <>
Subject: Counting C Myna in GBS
From: Duncan McCaskill <>
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2013 10:53:51 +1000
A recently dead bird in your GBS site is strong evidence of it being alive in your site, so count it. But don't add the corpse to the count of other alive birds of the same species. If, for example, your evil cat brings in a dead Silvereye, don't add that to the other 6 alive birds that you see at the same time, unless you saw it alive with the other 6 before evil cat got it.

If you have a Myna trap with 3 alive Mynas in it, I suggest counting all. A Myna trap is not unlike other artificial attractions like bird feeders. Does anyone else have a different opinion? I don't know if this issue has been considered before.

If you find a corpse of an extremely unlikely species, such as a Penguin, it is best to assume that it didn't get itself there.

Duncan McCaskill
GBS Coordinator