canberrabirds

Shooting in NSW NPs

To: Anthony Doyle <>, Canberra Birds <>
Subject: Shooting in NSW NPs
From: John Leonard <>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 11:22:38 +1100
When elected representtives stray so far from common sense, people are entitled to use heightened language.

John Leonard

On 26 February 2013 10:56, Anthony Doyle <> wrote:
While I am not a shooter and don't support the whole idea, this language is inappropriate for this forum.

Is it seriously being suggested that members of the public who want to shoot feral animals are 'gun toting criminals?' What crime were they convicted of? how does the poster know of their criminality?  Similarly comments about the mental well being of named politicians is excessive and trivialises mental health issues.  Mental asylums are a thing of the past.

It is apparently being suggested in this forum that elected members of the government should be forcibly imprisoned under the guise of mental illness, as has been done in some places overseas. Who will do this?  Given that there is no lawful power to do so, will force be used?  Presumably backed by weapons? Would this not be a greater wrong than the one being opposed?  It is to be hoped that the NSW government has a greater commitment to democratic ideals than some forum posts.

I really appreciate this chat line as a way for me to learn about local birds from people with far greater knowledge than I.  From time to time I have thought about coming on an event. However the intemperate and unabated comments on this issue is strongly dissuasive.  There are places for environment and political action, could I suggest that this is not the place.

Could I also respectfully ask that the moderators consider taking this issue offline? It will interesting to see if this post receives the same hostility an earlier one on the same lines did.

Regards

AD