canberrabirds

Koels at Woolies

To: "'Stephanie Haygarth'" <>, "'canberra birds'" <>
Subject: Koels at Woolies
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2013 14:02:56 +1100
I have a dy Koel here. I heard it and went to look, it was sitting in the
grape vine about 1 metre outside my study window. Today it was only in the
grape vine for just a few minutes but it was there for about an hour
yesterday morning. It was eating some of the grapes.

Later I could hear it further away and found it along Boddington Cres. A
Wattlebird got a bit agitated at me being so close. It can fly reasonably
well now. The call is a fairly simple not loud squeak, not like the rough
sound of a young Red Wattlebirds, about 30 to 40 times a minute. Each time I
was easily able to get to within <2 metres before it showed any disapproval
but it likes to sit within the foliage. I got lots of photos yesterday and
today but they are not very good. Many of my photos are from about 50 cm
away, as I held my little camera above my head, thereby only guessing if the
bird was in the camera range - isn't it great not needing to pay for film
any more).

The adult male Koel is still in the area and has been all summer.

Philip Veerman
24 Castley Circuit
Kambah  ACT  2902

02 - 62314041