canberrabirds

Puffed up feathers

To: "'Mark Clayton'" <>, "'Con Boekel'" <>, "'COG list'" <>
Subject: Puffed up feathers
From: "Margaret Leggoe" <>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2013 07:41:47 +1100
Speaking of puffed up feathers, the two adult females in "my" magpie family*
really had their feathers puffed up when breeding, but even now the fat lady
still adopts a puffed up appearance as if to tell the others only she is
allowed to sit on my knee and eat out of my hand.
* The old man is a bigamist, but since his wives are perfectly happy with
the situation, who am I to worry?  Right at the end of the breeding season
last year I discovered what I am pretty sure are their nests.  Two magpie
nests only a couple of metres apart in the same tree.  I shall be watching
with interest this year.