canberrabirds

Little Friarbirds in Deakin

Subject: Little Friarbirds in Deakin
From: Nick Payne <>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 16:22:21 +1100
Last Saturday morning, while riding along the top of Beauchamp St in Deakin, we heard unfamiliar hoarse calls coming from high up in the E. Mannifera street trees. We were cycling and didn't have binoculars with us, and all we could see of the birds (three of them) was that they were approximately the size and shape of a Red Wattlebird. We watched for a couple of minutes but they stayed high in the trees. While cycling along Kent St this morning, within about a hundred metres of the sighting last week, we heard the same call. After looking through my copy of Birds of the ACT for possible matches as regards size and shape, and listening to the corresponding bird calls in the mobile version of Morcombe's Birds of Australia, I think that what we saw and heard must have been Little Friarbirds.

Nick Payne