canberrabirds

Egrets (3 of 3)

To: <>
Subject: Egrets (3 of 3)
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2013 16:15:11 +1100

Now, my little poser from last Saturday.  There were 5 egrets present, and I thought at the time one or 2 might be Intermediates given they are reasonably common and often turn up with Greats.  However, not all 5 were in view at the one time, so I thought I’d take a close look at the photos, assuming I’d got all 5 at one moment or other.  The 2 on left are from another time, and show, I think, the key differences.  The Great has a rather snaky head and that sharp triangle of bare skin extending behind the eye, the Intermediate has squarer bare skin not going behind the eye and a more domed head.   On the right are enlargements from my numbered pic showing the 2 most likely ‘Intermediates’.  The bare skin on these is kind of in-between, and both heads could be called domed.  However the upper bird is not all that different from the other 2 resting birds (possibly all same age) and the very long extended neck of the lower bird could not really belong to an Intermediate.  Moreover all the egrets that I could see together were about the same size as one another.   I conclude that the gape and head shape by themselves are not always useful in the field.  I think Harvey, Philip and Steve H, and Jude,  are correct in concluding all birds shown are Greats.  I shall not complicate matters by talking about the agonistic behaviour directed to one egret by others.  In the nest, it was probably the parents’favourite.