canberrabirds

Noisy Friarbird nest at Carwoola (and another topic)

To: "'COG List'" <>
Subject: Noisy Friarbird nest at Carwoola (and another topic)
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2012 13:18:06 +1100

Do you have Noisy Miners there, JacK?

From: Jack & Andrea Holland [
Sent: Sunday, 23 December 2012 12:59 PM
To: COG List

The Noisy Friarbird seems to be absent from my local area of NW Chapman/Cooleman Ridge and the S side of the Narrabundah Hill reserve, in fact I seem to have only one record for December so far.

Is this what other chat line subscribers are experiencing, or is this just a local phenomenon?

Jack Holland

A few weeks ago a Noisy Friarbird began acting very strangely around our deck, causing me to wonder if it was gathering material for nesting.  (They raised 3 chicks here in January this year.)  This morning I finally found the nest, about 5m up in a large Yellow box tree.  I am hopeful that I will be able to see chicks eventually.

It is unlikely the nest will be parasitised by Koels as we get get very few of them out here but I have this week recorded 5 cuckoo species in my GBS site (Horsfields and Shining bronze; Pallid, Fan-tailed and Brush.

--
Martin Butterfield