canberrabirds

Hot November Days (1)

To: <>
Subject: Hot November Days (1)
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2012 12:30:14 +1100

You think it’s hot here?  Well, let me tell you …   Thinking I’d get in a little excursion out west while it was still the nominal Spring, I set off on Monday for Hattah/Kulkyne.  Drove straight there (9 hours) thinking I’d catch up on other spots of interest on the way back.  I did slow down going by Sandra’s Superb Parrot patch past Narrandera.  No massed  Superbs – wrong time of day.  I did glimpse the odd Superb along the road during the trip, but you’d probably see more at Belconnen Golf Course on an average afternoon.  At Hattah, I did notice that it was a BIT WARMER than Canberra.  Moreover, I had the extensive Lake Mournpall campground to myself except for a trio of rabbiting contractors on quad bikes.  One sign of a true bush campground was a ball of steel wool that had no doubt been use to scour out the remains of an Irish Stew from a blackened cast-iron pot.  This was providing great entertainment for a pair of juvenile Pied Butcherbirds …