canberrabirds

Fyshwick Sewage Ponds - numbering

To: "'Robin Hide'" <>, "'Canberra Birds'" <>
Subject: Fyshwick Sewage Ponds - numbering
From: "Chris Davey" <>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 21:45:54 +1000
Robin,

Thank you very much for raising this question.

I have recently come across two data sets of records from Fyshwick Sewage
Ponds, one from November 1967 through to November 1969 (van Tets) and the
second from August 1989 to September 1997 (Anderson).  I am in the process
of having these records transferred to the COG database.  All very well but
the numbering system for the ponds is different again to the Dabb numbers
and to the ACTEW numbers; see below:

Van Tets/Anderson       Dabb    ACTEW
        1               7       1B
        2               5       1A
        3               6       2B
        4               4       2A
        5               1       4
        6               3       3A
        7               2       3B

I suspect that Dabb knew nothing of the van Tets /Anderson records which I
think they made up for their own convenience.  Given that the Dabb numbering
system has been in use for some time and that it is used in the COG
publication ' Bird Route 1,  Central Canberra -East' I recommend that we
continue to use the Dabb numbers.

Again, thank you for raising this issue as I was about to introduce a third
numbering system!

Chris