canberrabirds

Hobbies

To: <>
Subject: Hobbies
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2012 14:17:44 +1000
That would seem notable for two reasons: if indeed they are seeking to dislodge owners of an existing nest and the timing is very early in the year. If we get other early records, it could be indication of a change to their annual patterns and maybe a climate change feature. Certainly potentially something of interest. So I looked at Birds of Canberra Gardens V2 to see if there is any updated information with the extra years of data now available since The GBS Report. No surprise, there is no mention of it beyond what I wrote in 1999 and not even any monthly graph of this: one of the most notable results of the GBS (so much so that it is on the cover of The GBS Report, apart from of course the opportunity to use my painting of the bird on the cover) .

The behaviour Mark wrote of but the raven seemed totally disinterested is also in contrast to what I observe most years between the Pied Currawongs & Aust Ravens who battle out for 2 or 3 weeks as to who gets nesting ownership of the big tree in my yard. Both species get very involved in the fight.

As referenced in The GBS Report and my much earlier paper:

(1991) ‘The monthly pattern of records of the Australian Hobby Falco longipennis in Canberra, A.C.T.’, Australian Bird Watcher 14: 70–72.

Philip

-----Original Message-----From: Mark Clayton [ Sent: Monday, 3 September 2012 11:42 AM      To:
Subject: [canberrabirds] Hobbies

Good morning all,

I have just come back from purchasing tickets for the Raiders home semi final on Sunday and in the car park opposite the entrance to the AIS a pair of Australian Hobbies was trying valiantly to dislodge an Australian Raven from its perch just below what I assume to be a raven nest that the hobbies would like to use. There was some spectacular aerial activity on display, but the raven seemed totally disinterested.

Cheers,

Mark