canberrabirds

Hobbies

To: <>
Subject: Hobbies
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2012 23:18:53 +1000
I should point out (although it is stated in my formal writings but not in my email) that there is a significant component of change to behaviour adding to the extent of the monthly pattern of the graphs I provided earlier. As in there is a change in abundance over the year but its extent as measured by the GBS method is increased by greater conspicuousness late in the breeding season. Even so I am not sure how to interpret the wider spread and mid spring peak in this new graph. I wonder is that based more on recent years and is there a change of annual pattern. Is there a denominator to that graph? Raw numbers are hard to interpret.

I also generally agree with Geoffrey on this. On the point ‘Breeding’ should not be attached to the noun, but should be a separate annotation meaning ‘breeding recorded’. Yes I think or hope that is generally understood to be the case, or at least I am not confused by this.

Clicking on Twin Peaks got me somewhere quite different......... Even so I suspect it is not mainly migration in both directions except to a small extent (mainly because the dip is not very great, nowhere near as low as winter) but more likely to be the time of arrival locally from the north and then time of finishing of local breeding prior to mostly leaving again.

Philip

-----Original Message-----From: martin butterfield [ Sent: Monday, 3 September 2012 6:48 PM      To: Geoffrey Dabb
Cc:
m("canberrabirds.org.auSubject","canberrabirds");">      Subject: Re: FW: [canberrabirds] Hobbies

I think Geoffrey's point is good.  IMHO Steve's graph suggests the label is correct for Hobbies (or at least the Australian Hobby).

Martin