canberrabirds

Honeyeaters heading your way.

To: COG bird discussions <>
Subject: Honeyeaters heading your way.
From: Denis Wilson <>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 17:51:44 +1000
This morning (15 August 2012), a mild sunny morning in Robertson, I saw several small flocks of Yellow-faced Honeyeaters passing through the village of Robertson. (approx 180 Km n-e from Canberra).
Time 10:00 to 10:15 am,
weather mostly sunny (broken, light cloud).
No wind.

When I say "passing through", I mean obvious groups of about a dozen birds, travelling together, followed by another group, about a minute later,  and another, and another.

As I have mentioned before, on this forum, the YFHE is not a resident bird here.
On the coast, east from Robertson, they have been visible and calling loudly (feeding calls, not the "chip, chip" calls they use when migrating). For example, at 7 Mile Beach, and even some in the rainforests below the coastal escarpment.

But this is my first "Spring" sighting (ok, technically not Spring, but you know what I mean).
Certainly my first sighting of a migrating group, for this "return season".

Standing by for reports from Canberra.

Denis Wilson
"The Nature of Robertson"
www.peonyden.blogspot.com.au