canberrabirds

Re: Pied Currawongs migration changes

To: Philip Veerman <>
Subject: Re: Pied Currawongs migration changes
From: Denis Wilson <>
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2012 17:46:08 +1000
Hi Philip and others.

Dad's book simply records a report by Marchant (1965) that  "a few pairs stay and breed around the City. ("Birds of the ACT - Two centuries of Change)

There is no attempted explanation, merely reportage. My comments are conjectural, of course (which I have already acknowledged).

However, the early photographic record for Canberra does bear out my comments about the history of early plantations in Canberra. The late, great Lyndsay Pryor was responsible for most of those plantings. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lindsay_Pryor

Your comment about Black Mountain having been largely cleared is also correct. Once again verifiable by photographic record.

However, in my understanding is that the bulk of the current Black Mountain "forest" is not really suitable breeding habitat for the Pied Currawongs. It is dense Eucalypt regrowth forest, but the understorey is sparse, and largely dry. Much of it is Bursaria shrubbery with large areas of native grasses. Whereas, the ANBG plantings are much favoured by Pied Currawongs.

That could be because the people at the ANBG have managed to replicate a wet forest habitat, with a dense understorey, whereas most of Black Mountain is either Scribbly Gum/Brittle Gum forest with dry shrubbery understorey, or else, on the southern side, mostly Stringybark with some Bursaria scrub understorey.

The so-called "rain forest gully" in the ANBG provides a great breeding habitat for Pied Currawongs and a full suite of small birds, insects and reptiles. A complete habitat.

The Currawongs of Telopea Park are but a mere 30 second flight from established gardens, replete with young Blackbirds (thanks Geoffrey for the "evidence" of that food source) and other small birds.

Cheers

Denis