canberrabirds

FW: [canberrabirds] The Common Myna: 'Is It Benign or Is It a Pariah?'

To: <>
Subject: FW: [canberrabirds] The Common Myna: 'Is It Benign or Is It a Pariah?'
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 14:43:13 +1000

I have read this article 3 times and I am unable to see how it shows the Common Myna is responsible for a decline in small birds.  Small birds may have declined over the period but where in the opaque maths is it shown that the myna must be the reason?  Below is a random cut/paste of articles on overall bush-bird decline, including one suggesting the NOISY MINER (expanding in Canberra) is a reason.  [In fact, as I read the piece, it suggests that small birds are INCREASING LESS RAPIDLY in Canberra gardens because of the myna]

THREATENED AND DECLINING WOODLAND BIRDS IN THE NEW... Description: chrome-extension://mkfokfffehpeedafpekjeddnmnjhmcmk/images/SafeBrowse/sb_unknownannotation.png

www.lrwg.com.au/downloads/.../WEDecliningBirdReport99Reid.pdf

File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - Quick View
by JRW Reid - 1999 - Cited by 110 - Related articles
standout
Declining bird species in the SWB. All but two of the 20 Declining species are passerines or 'typical bushbirds. This contrasts with the 38 Threatened ...

1.   Native bird populations declining rapidly - The 7.30 Report - ABC Description: chrome-extension://mkfokfffehpeedafpekjeddnmnjhmcmk/images/SafeBrowse/sb_safeannotation.png

www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2009/s2720637.htm

21 Oct 2009 – It is well documented bird populations are in serious decline across the ...LISA WHITEHEAD, REPORTER: The Australian bush without the call ...

2.    [PDF]

The effect of Noisy Miners on small bush birds: an unofficial cull and ... Description: chrome-extension://mkfokfffehpeedafpekjeddnmnjhmcmk/images/SafeBrowse/sb_nortoncertified.png

www.une.edu.au/ers/staff-profile-doc-folders/.../debus-n-miner.pdf

File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - Quick View
by SJS DEBUS - Cited by 3 - Related articles
... in each time period. Totals for small (<120 g)
bush birds, mostly ... are a major contributor to the local decline of many woodland birds. The results also affirm ...

3.   Bush Birds Description: chrome-extension://mkfokfffehpeedafpekjeddnmnjhmcmk/images/SafeBrowse/sb_safeannotation.png

www.sopa.nsw.gov.au/our_park/environment/.../birds/bush_birds

Although none of the bush bird species at Sydney Olympic Park are listed under threatened species legislation, many bush birds are in severe decline across ...

4.    [PDF]

facing Description: chrome-extension://mkfokfffehpeedafpekjeddnmnjhmcmk/images/SafeBrowse/sb_safeannotation.png

www.cse.csiro.au/research/documents/ecosbirdsextinction.pdf

File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat
Australia's
bush birds are in trouble. Only one ... regions are in decline, and more species will vanish if ... causes and extent of bird declines across the southern ...

5.   No birds in the bush Description: chrome-extension://mkfokfffehpeedafpekjeddnmnjhmcmk/images/SafeBrowse/sb_safeannotation.png

01-06-2010. Australia's woodland birds, including many species generally regarded as common and widespread, are declining at an alarming rate according to ...

6.    [PDF]

AUSTRAL