canberrabirds

White-eared Honeyeater in Fraser.

To: "'D&L Ayliffe'" <>, "'Canberra Birds'" <>
Subject: White-eared Honeyeater in Fraser.
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 13:50:09 +1000
I have one at my place too this week and last week. Going by average of past
years on the GBS, it is likely to be observed at slightly over half of all
garden sites (F = 53.84%) at least once each year (or maybe once each two
years as the GBS year includes part of two winters but that is too complex
to consider all the bits that lead to that). I wonder why a White-eared
Honeyeater would impact on resident "common bronze wing pigeons".

Here is the text from the GBS Report:

White-eared Honeyeater Lichenostomus leucotis
This species is less social than most honeyeaters so most observations are
of one or two birds with average group size of 1.31. Its call is quite loud
and distinctive, so birds can be detected at distances greater than 100
metres. The species is an altitudinal migrant and has a very strong seasonal
pattern. For the first twelve years, some of the summer months had no
observations at all, yet this has changed in recent years. This appears to
be a GBS artefact. Almost all of this trend and much of the overall increase
is due to the semi-rural Site 246 that started in Year 13. Apart from that,
it is almost absent from October to March, then numbers rise through April
to a May peak, then decline smoothly through to September. Numbers have
fluctuated over groups of years but overall it appears to be stable. Given
the comment above, it is no surprise that the only breeding records are at
Site 246, dependent young in September Year 17 and February Year 18.
Graphs on page: 99, Rank: 31, Breeding Rank: 74, A = 0.10549, F = 53.84%, W
= 39.7, R = 8.067%, G = 1.31.