canberrabirds

Rowes Lagoon

Subject: Rowes Lagoon
From: "Paul T." <>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 23:20:48 +1000
Howdy All,

Coming back from Goulburn this afternoon I dropped in briefly at Rowes Lagoon for the first time in years (the last time I visited it was dry.... it most definitely isn't any more!). I was amazed at the variety of water birds there now. I stood at one point right near the barbeque hut thingy near the carpark and just scanned about with the binoculars (I REALLY need to get a better pair, the ones I have are too small and not enough detail at distance). Lots of ducks of a couple of different types, but otherwise pretty much what I thought was fairly short grass/reeds out in front of me...... then various heads started to appear out of the grass including black swans, so the grass/reeds were a lot taller than I had thought.

There were also various darters/cormorants on the far side of the lagoon drying their wings, flying about etc. I couldn't see enough detail to tell you what they were (plus I didn't have any guide book or anything to help), there was at least one grey Egret that flew in, coots/moorhens etc. Lots and lots of birds. As I was about to drive out I headed up the dirt track to the left as you drive in and parked at the end and sat there in the car and looked through the binoculars..... more cormorants/darters, ibis, a black swan on the nest which wasn't visible from the main barbeque area (so hopefully some signets at some point).

I think in the brief time I was there I would have seen well over a hundred assorted birds. It was just a spur of the moment visit, so no thought for field guides or anything, and my waterbird knowledge is sadly lacking (heck, most of my bird knowledge is sadly lacking I think). I know it is mentioned on the list here from time to time, but as a beginner type I really enjoyed seeing such a range of birds. I thought that other beginners at least may be interested. Take better binoculars than I have though... it's a long distance to the other side of the lagoon where a lot of birds were sitting and drying their wings on the hillocks in the distance.

Cheers.

Paul T.
Higgins, ACT