canberrabirds

Re:Frogs and Musk Ducks

To: <>
Subject: Re:Frogs and Musk Ducks
From: "Peter Ormay" <>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2012 10:17:30 +1100
Hi all
Frogs move about in wet weather in the ACT and will turn up in back yard ponds without assistance provided there are sufficient gaps in the fences or under the gate.

Last Thursday 15Mar I stopped at what I knew as Ryans Swamp years ago (the new name escapes me) on the east side of the Federal Hwy between Collector and the Hume Hwy. It is a roughly circular swamp about 300m across with a house and a row of pines on the Sydney end. Saw 4 Musk Duck, 16 LB Cormorants, 3 Spoonbill sp unknown, 2 Black Swan, 10 Sacred Ibis and heard dozens of Crinia signifera and Spotted Marsh frogs.

The spamp had been dry for what seems like decades but I remember a swamp Harrier circling over it in 1966 when it had water in it.

Peter