canberrabirds

Grey Butcherbird in Bungendore

To: "'canberrabirds'" <>
Subject: Grey Butcherbird in Bungendore
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 18:51:49 +1100

Yes, Erika, people do seem to mention their butcherbirds.  It is one of the things we do on this chatline.  The point is that this is the time they move from the woodland territories.  You might also notice references to the age of these birds.  This is because, as I understand it,  the wave of suburban observations is generally attributable to young of the year.  Around Canberra the quite localised territories of adult birds are well known  -  near entrance Govt House, SW corner Mt Taylor reserve and so on. In Spring/Summer this species is very localised.   It would be of some interest to know whether ALL the current suburban obs are of young birds, or whether adults do move from their territories at this time.  That raises the question of determining age.  Your bird looks like a juvenile because of the sooty grey colour.  Typical adults are a clean seagull-grey on the back and black or white elsewhere.  However it is not all that simple.  I have seen a mated pair where one member was quite sootyish.  Nonetheless, a ‘clean’ bird well away from its territory would be of some interest.