canberrabirds

re water ski trial on Lake Gininderra

Subject: re water ski trial on Lake Gininderra
From: Robin Hide <>
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2012 14:15:37 +1100
On a radio interview I heard yesterday, it was emphasised (by proponents of the trial, plus the TAMS person, Jane Carder ) that the trial would involve those practicing for water ski events only, and ONLY (much emphasis) a single boat on the water at anyone time, and that modern boats were "quiet"... . No mention of boat wash etc.  It was being proposed that the trial would be for 2 hrs every morning 5 days  a week plus some other "windows" of time, afternoons and weekends..(see details below) -
Robin Hide

More information here:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-02-22/water-ski-proposal-for-lake-ginninderra/3845522?section=act

Water ski proposal for Lake Ginninderra

Updated February 22, 2012 22:37:46

The ACT Government has put forward plans to allow people to water ski and wake board on Lake Ginninderra at Belconnen.

Canberra-based water skiers currently have to travel interstate to train because the only authorised area in city's south is closed.

The Molonglo Reach water ski area, off Morsehead Drive was closed in November because of the safety risks from sandbar movement.

The stretch of river was also closed for an extended period during 2011 after extensive flooding left tree trunks and debris strewn along the river, posing safety problems for skiers.

The Government has begun community consultation on a proposal to trial the sport on Lake Ginninderra between April and Christmas.

Jane Carder from Territory and Municipal Services says the trial is not for social skiing, but to help people who want to train for water skiing competition.

"We're looking at really restricted hours under a very tight permit arrangement," Ms Carder said.

"They would be operating possibly in the early mornings, from 7:00am to 9:00am and maybe a window in the afternoon, maybe from 4:00pm to 6:00pm. But the exact times haven't been pinned down yet, until we've spoken to all other lake user groups.

"At this stage we are looking at the week days, possibly a small window on the weekend."

Only one water ski boat will be allowed on the lake at any one time during the trial.

Ms Carder says people attending a Belconnen Community Council meeting raised concerns about noise from ski boats, increased waves and the impact on wildlife.

"There was lot of questions, a lot of information was shared," she said.

"We'll be putting some signs up around the lake as well to let everyone else know that there is this trial proposed for the lake."

It is estimated there are about 100 competitive water skiers in the ACT.

Ben McCullogh from the ACT Water Ski Association says the members want to have a dedicated site for training.

"We don't have a training facility in the ACT, and in fact we don't have one in near proximity to the ACT," he said.

"So competitive water skiers based in Canberra really have to travel long distances to advance their skills and improve their competitiveness in the sport.

"These people need a permanent site where they can go and train, and they know the infrastructure is going to be there."

Topics: lifestyle-and-leisure, water-management, environment, belconnen-2617, act

First posted February 22, 2012 16:33:40