canberrabirds

Leura, Prince Henry. Fernbower: Glossies, crescent, lyrebird, satin b

To: "'Canberra Birds'" <>
Subject: Leura, Prince Henry. Fernbower: Glossies, crescent, lyrebird, satin b
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 23:31:48 +1100
Hi Benj,

About the last bit, in general the Superb Lyrebird sing a lot but most during winter (this is a bit early but it has been cold), typically this is when the birds they mimic sing least. Lyrebirds like most "mimics" do not relate to the species they mimic. Indeed they learn most of their mimicry from other lyrebirds. Almost certainly the accuracy is further honed by hearing the model species. Evidence includes that for new generations of lyrebirds introduced to Tasmania still did whipbirds for many years. Also that populations tend to use similar sequences of calls.  At the talk given at Field Nats last week we were told of a mother lyrebird teaching its chick some mimicry. That was a new one on me.