canberrabirds

White-faced Heron Nesting - resend 2 of 2

Subject: White-faced Heron Nesting - resend 2 of 2
From: Robin Eckermann <>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 20:56:37 +1100
Sorry folk - one or two people mentioned that the clickable thumbnails didn't work - possibly browser-specific, but here they are hopefully now working for anyone interested.

We have the good fortune to have a White-faced Heron nesting in the tree right in front of the holiday house in which we're spending a few days. Each morning one of the pair (the male?) delivers new sticks, and the partner spends time augmenting the nest. On a couple of the nights, we've been woken by a bit of a kerfuffle in the tree and have spotted a possum in the near vicinity of the nest. Its not real clear whether the noise came from the possum, or the WFH seeking to scare the unwelcome visitor off.

It was also a pleasure to have a Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoo spend a little time in a nearby tree - they're occasional visitors to my "territory of interest" (SE slopes of Mt. Ainslie), but their calls are common here at long beach.

Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoo
(click on thumbnail for larger view)

Regards ... Robin Eckermann