canberrabirds

Bird ID from wing undersides?

To: "Paul T." <>, Canberra Birds <>
Subject: Bird ID from wing undersides?
From: Robin Hide <>
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2012 11:54:36 +1100
Paul,
yes - squatter and chunkier when perched (and very distinctive profile on dead trees, powerlines etc). They look bigger in flight.
I saw these two yesterday am from boat on Molonglo Reach (between Hospice and Duntroon).
note the difference in beak colour (orangeish on lefthand one, darker on right) which Geoffrey Dabb linked to breeding status on this chatline (last year I think?)
Robin Hide

Db