canberrabirds

Bird ID from wing undersides?

To: "'Paul T.'" <>, <>
Subject: Bird ID from wing undersides?
From: "Mark Clayton" <>
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2012 11:21:34 +1100
Paul,

Sounds like a Dollarbird to me.

Mark

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul T.
Sent: Saturday, 21 January 2012 10:06 AM

Howdy All,

Probably something obvious, but something I've not seen before and
not quite sure where to look to find out what bird it is....... I was
attracted by the sound of a frog croaking (that's the easiest
description) then realised that it was coming from above.  A bird was
wheeling about above me, with a comparatively (well to me at least)
quite wide wing span in relation to it's body length.  Against the
sky it looked black, but could have been any dark colour, but there
was a distinct large white oval on the underside of each wing (the
narrower ends of the oval were towards the front and backs of the
wings) about a third of the way in from the wingtip.  I watched it
for a couple of minutes and it made it's repetitive frog croaking
noise a number of times but no other sounds.  I just have no idea how
I go about identifying something from it's underwings when I have no
idea even where to start looking?

I'm guessing that this will likely be an obvious one to most of you
who are familiar with identifying birds on the wing.  I'm expecting
it to be something common, but the croaking sound is not something
I've ever heard before.  I really did think there was some sort of frog
about.

Thanks.

Cheers.

Paul T.