canberrabirds

White ears and wedge tails

To: "Canberra birds" <>
Subject: White ears and wedge tails
From: "wallaces" <>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2012 19:37:46 +1100

A couple of obs from a trip to Corin Dam today with pictures taken from video footage.

Most field guides mention or illustrate the plumage of the immature White-eared Honeyeater but I do not think any of them or the few photos of immature birds on the net cover the individual in the attached photos well so I thought I would put up a couple of comments and photos.  While it had an olive-green crown, the overall colour could not be considered as ?duller? than the adult. Its plumage was noticeably bright, more so than many of the adults I have seen. As well, it had a very bright and distinct yellow spot at the end of the white ear spot.

Given the lack of cuckoos around my place this year, I was pleased to hear so many along the Corin Dam Road. Fan-tailed Cuckoos were calling the most.

Also, three Wedge-tailed Eagles (one immature) sat quietly in a dead tree next to Tidbinbilla Road with the immature bird calling. They allowed me to get out of the car and approach them.

Overall, it was a very pleasant drive with plenty of birds and photo opportunities but don?t forget the insect repellent like we did.

Steve