canberrabirds

re ANU bird survey

To: <>
Subject: re ANU bird survey
From: "Chris Davey" <>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2012 21:38:24 +1100

Tim has asked me to again post the message below concerning the ANU survey set for Saturday 21st January.  Anyone who would like to participate but not yet registered please contact Tim on the email address below.

Chris

The Australian National University is preparing for its seasonal 5-year cyclic bird surveys, and we are hoping that COG members can provide the expertise required.

4 seasonal surveys will be carried out during 2012–13 (January, April, July, October), with the first planned for Saturday 21st January 2012. This data will build on the Lower Sullivans Creek Catchment Ecological Survey and Life in the Suburbs project. Our proposed survey area will include sites in the ANU, ANBG, CSIRO, Black Mountain Peninsula, Civic West and parts of Turner (please see map attached). There are a total of 31 UMUs across the study area, with 3 sites in each of them.

As with past surveys, we will focus on community learning. Most of our volunteers will be students with little experience in bird monitoring, so we will be pairing up COG experienced birdwatchers with students, to ensure a good learning process and quality data.

Surveys will be run from 8:00-11am. We will be using the 2-hectare, 20-min search method and datasheets from COG. We will require at least 16 COG members, who will monitor 1-2 students. Each team will complete 2 UMUs, with the whole process taking approximately 2.5-3 hours.

In return for COG’s efforts, we shall provide a thankyou brunch to all volunteers.

Participants please fill out the attached registration form and send back to ANUgreen by 6th January 2012. For any site preferences or further enquiries, please contact our Biodiversity Officer Tim

Chris Davey (President)

24 Bardsley Place

Holt

ACT 2615

Tel: 02 62546324

MOB: 0418679847

CANBERRA ORNITHOLOGISTS GROUP

PO Box 301, Civic Square ACT 2608

m("canberrabirds.org.au","cogoffice");">

www.canberrabirds.org.au