canberrabirds

Fwd: Birdline ACT Weekly Update

Subject: Fwd: Birdline ACT Weekly Update
From: BirdlineACT <>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 19:49:48 +1100

Birdline ACT

Published sightings for the week ending 13 Nov 2011.

Sat 12 Nov Baillon's Crake, Sharp-tailed Sandpiper Kelly's Swamp & Jerrabomberra Wetland, Fyshwick
1 x Baillon's Crake 1 x Sharp-tailed Sandpiper
Alastair Smith

Pacific Golden Plover Fyshwick Sewage Treatment Plant
Pacific Golden Plover (1) According to Wilson 1999, possibly the first ACT record since 1979.
Alastair Smith

Channel-billed Cuckoo Wybalena Grove Cook
Flying over, heading south-west
Nicki Taws

Fri 11 Nov White-bellied Sea-eagle Tharwa Sandwash
This White-bellied Sea-eagle held his ground after being harrassed by Ravens, Magpies, Cockatoos, and Galahs for a good 20 minutes and then this lone Magpie had another go at moving the W-b S-e on from the large dead tree across the [Murrumbidgee] River at the sandwash this morning.
Lindell Emerton

Australian Shelduck, Red-kneed Dotterel Kelly's Swamp & Jerrabomberra Wetland, Fyshwick
Australian Shelduck (1) male Red-kneed Dotterel (1) Both first records for me in 2011; a very late arrival for the latter.
Alastair Smith

Buff-banded Rail, Baillon's Crake Fyshwick Sewage Treatment Plant
1 Buff-banded Rail carrying food and at least 5 Baillon's Crake.
Alastair Smith

Thu 10 Nov Red-capped Robin Woodstock Nature Reserve
Nest with very small chicks.
Stephen Wallace

Tue 8 Nov Musk Duck, Australasian Shoveler, Little Eagle Fyshwick Sewerage Treatment Works
1 female Musk Duck, 2 Shovelers, 2 light morph Little Eagles. I haven't seen the eagles for some time and this is the first time I've seen two light morphs, previously pairs have always been one light, one dark. No Pink-eared Ducks or Sandpipers seen on top 4 ponds.
Julian Robinson

Lathams Snipe Kellys Swamp
No Painted Snipe seen from 7:10am to 10:00 am. Lathams Snipe (1 to 3) were seen in the same area.
Julian Robinson

Rainbow Bee-eater Corin Road
At least 4 bee-eaters seen along Corin Road in paddocks approx. 1 km from junction with Tidbinbilla Road
Scott Ryan

Spotted Harrier Tidbinbilla Road
Single Spotted Harrier seen gliding low over grazing paddocks on Tidbinbilla Road near junction of Point Hut Road
Scott Ryan

Mon 7 Nov White-browed Woodswallow, Superb Parrot Shepherds Lookout
At 18.40 today a flock of approx 40 woodswallows passed over the lookout. They were heading north at quite a height, at least 3 or 4 were low enough to ID as White-broweds, others looked as though they had dark bellies, most likely all White-broweds. Also a flock of 6 Superbs & 8 Brown-headed Honeyeaters seen along the walking track
Scott Ryan

Sun 6 Nov Little Eagle, Nankeen Night-heron, Brown Goshawk, Brown Falcon Jerrabomberra Wetlands
3 adult Nankeen Night Herons were roosting in a willow on the river part of the wetlands. The Brown Falcon flew over our car on the way back, just after we got out of the car park and as we stopped to watch it, a Brown Goshawk flew out and attacked a large group of Starlings that were on a wire. It was eventually scared off by their ball formation. Just as we got back into the car, the Little Eagle flew over us.
Simon Gorta and Mark Gorta

Thu 3 Nov Superb Parrot Jamison Centre, Macquarie
Last Thursday afternoon at the Jamison Centre, Macquarie, I counted 42 Superbs feeding on elm seeds that had blown against the kerbs and wire fences. All but 5 were males.
Sue Lashko

Birdline ACT is sponsored by Eremaea Birds and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.

Unsubscribe