canberrabirds

FW: Chatline and Birdline

To: <>
Subject: FW: Chatline and Birdline
From: "Julian Robinson" <>
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2011 18:55:08 +1100
It must be Spring, or that time of year to discuss this topic again.

The overlapping roles of the Chatline, the COG database and Birdline/Eremaea
(web-based bird reporting system) must inevitably lead to calls for
rationalisation of them (even if we disregard the twitch-line, Birds of
Canberra Gardens and the BA and other databases that are either for
different purposes or outside our control).  I know that if I report
something interesting I want to do it only once, not twice or more, and I
assume others might feel the same.

For reporting interesting bird sightings:

- the Chatline is immediate and it is a push system so you don't have to go
to a website to view the latest, it appears before you as email in semi-real
time.  It is informal and therefore easier and perhaps more inviting to use
and is viewed by the widest regular audience.  As a means of notification
and education re local bird happenings it is (or could be) brilliant, but as
a bird database it is almost useless because it only contains a few highly
selected sightings.

- the COG database is slow to enter and difficult for normal people to
retrieve data from.  It is the most formal and complete repository, but is
accessed for information (such as the monthly reporting rate of Leaden
Flycatchers) by very few members. It does contain reasonably complete data
because many of the inputs are exhaustive bird  lists rather than incidental
reports of interesting birds, but the information is difficult to retrieve
for most members and it certainly is not a means of learning what's hot in
the Canberra area. It also contains much less data than it would if
notification of sightings, data entry and data access were easier.

- the Eremea database / Birdline system seems to be half way on all things
but the best compromise for many purposes if only one system were to be
allowed.  It is not immediate and you have to deliberately access it to know
that same day that a rare bird was seen at wherever since a) there's a delay
before your entered info is posted to the database, and b) it is not an
email push system, other than the weekly summaries (it might have newsfeeds
but many people don't use them). As a database it suffers from the fact that
most people only enter interesting sightings, not complete lists, so it can
never be considered a true reflection of abundance or occurrence, and there
are no standardised survey parameters.

A personal view
I believe the whole business is unnecessarily inefficient to the point that
it limits my participation and I know others who think the same.  Wouldn't
it be sensible to have a COG-type database that has the entry and access
ease of Eremaea?  Then I could easily come home from the sewerage ponds and
quickly enter everything I saw to a single point, knowing that:

- my sightings accurately add to the sum of local bird knowledge in a
formalised place and in a formalised way.
- they will be passed on to the BA database and become part of the national
statistics.
- if I wonder when a musk duck sighting there is interesting, or when one
was last seen at the sewerage ponds or what their seasonal distribution is
or if there were any breeding records, I could interrogate the database
myself without having to make a request to a possibly busy or absent person.
The database would be much more useful to many more people, one thing that
COG should be about.
- if we wanted to, we could have a means of identifying 'notifiable'
sightings that would be automatically be passed to a rejuvenated Chatline.
That is, when I entered my data and if I'd found out that musk ducks were
actually interesting at that location by interrogating the database, I would
click on a box which says "send this to the Chatline" and a standardised
message would appear on the Chatline.
- the number of records would be far greater than we currently get to either
of the current local databases because it would be easier to do and does not
require duplicated entry.  This would significantly increase the usefulness
and integrity of the data available.

To raise the efficiency further, we could make an interface available so
that I can initiate the entry to this on-line database just by pushing a
button after entering into my own personal  bird list, the one I keep on my
own computer.  Alistair likes to keep his personal records on Birdline, but
I have recently acquired a fantastic bird database that is easy to use and
provides many useful tabulations and records and holds and keeps track of
the photos I take, and I prefer to have it with me rather than in the cloud.
A combination of local database of your own information that can
automatically send data to the new COG database would seem to have the best
of all worlds and still allow people to keep their own records on Birdline
alone if they wanted.

Under this proposal,  I'd enter my sightings only once, ever, on the best
and fastest user interface available, and I would know that the info was
safely recorded in my own database, also in the COG=Eremaea=local database,
and in the BA Australia-wide database. At the same time any interesting
sighting would be communicated to the Chatline readership quickly without
writing a separate post.  I could make use of the data-mining capabilities
of my own software and also any functionality built into the new
COG=Eremaea=local database or the BA database.

There is nothing stopping this happening and I believe it is the single most
useful thing COG could do in the near term.  I don't know about the politics
or technicalities of the Birdline/Eremaea system, but it would seem to offer
a good starting point for such a system. Alternatively a re-vamped COG
database might be more feasible since COG owns and runs it, and it could be
arranged to provide everything suggested above, including, if necessary,
passing info to an unchanged Birdline/Eremaea.

Then we could leave the Chatline to be a more open, less restrictive line of
communication than it is now, where members themselves continue to determine
what they read and what they post by common sense and good manners, as on
other forums.  At the same time it can continue to be an excellent way to
spread the word about today's interesting sightings.

Having to enter sighting info two or three times will always mean less
information will be filed in the first place so much potential data is lost,
and the information that is filed will be spread over different locations.
This makes it harder for Jack or anyone to assess what's going on bird-wise,
a lot harder than it needs to be.   Time to rationalise...

- make data entry much easier
- make data access easier
- make notification of interesting sightings easier and more  certain
- greatly increase the data stored
- share data automatically between databases
- and in the process give the Chatline a chance to breath.

Just my 2c,
Julian Robinson