canberrabirds

Help with ID, Please 1

To: <>
Subject: Help with ID, Please 1
From: "Margaret Leggoe" <>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2011 15:25:49 +1000

Shot at Mt Wanniassa this morning.  Yesterday there were two exactly the same in the same tree, perhaps a pair.  Today I saw it/them one at a time in several trees over a radius of about 20 metres.  The light was very variable, as you can see in the difference between the apparent colour of the bird according to whether it was in the shade or the sun.  Shade always tends to add a bluish cast to the subject.  The eye was red when the sun caught it, and brown at other times.  Size, about the same as the grey fantail that was flitting around in the same bushes.  It was bigger than a thornbill.   Its call is not familiar to me.  When I got home I played the Western Gerygone and Jacky Winter calls, and it certainly was not the Western Gerygone, in spite of its sometime red eye.

I have a nice view of the bird’s back with the coverts showing clearly.

If this is a Jacky Winter, it is a first for me.

Much obliged for any help.

unknown110914_0335.jpgunknown110914_0331.jpg

Margaret Leggoe

Canberra

Australia

black-shouldered-kite101014_2282avatar