canberrabirds

Help with ID, comment on Golden Whistlers

To: "'Margaret Leggoe'" <>, <>
Subject: Help with ID, comment on Golden Whistlers
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2011 17:48:40 +1000
Re: your question Margaret,

During the non breeding period, adult male and female Golden Whistlers appear to avoid each other. As in it is very rare to see a pair together. I cannot recall ever seeing this (though that is not saying I haven't). Even though it is a common species and adult male and female Golden Whistlers may be in the general vicinity they will usually at least be in separate trees. Sometimes they will sing to each other at that distance. No doubt others will say they have seen them together (and I am talking about non breeding time), but bearing in mind how common the species is, there won't be many such observations, they are pretty solitary. The GBS Report cites a study by Bell (1986) who suggests this is due to niche partitioning.

In Canberra gardens, I have observed males and females often space out their occurrence by time. E.g. a male may be present for several days and depart and then a female may be present for several days.

I watched a very pretty adult male Golden Whistler near Kambah Pool on Sunday.