canberrabirds

Superb parrots

To: canberrabirds <>
Subject: Superb parrots
From: Anthony Overs <>
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2011 13:11:08 +1000
Hi Rosemary

Yesterday evening, about 5.00pm, I saw a flock of eight Superbs fly across the intersection at Coulter Drive and Belconnen Way. Four males and four females.

This morning at home four Superbs shot past my house at roof height, two males and two females. They could only have come straight out of the Pinnacle NR. Quite a few birds have been hanging around Muranji-Erldunda-Mataranka streets in Hawker.

In the past, birds were known to arrive back in the area at the end of August, breed out at the Wallaroo Rd area, and we'd see groups with young in areas like Mt Rogers in December and January. I guess now they're more adventurous and coming in to town to feed up, perhaps prior to the breeding season? Maybe sightings will be fewer between now and December. However, it would be very exciting to have them finding hollows in the suburbs.

Cheers
Anthony