canberrabirds

injured Sulphur Crested Cockatoo

To: <>
Subject: injured Sulphur Crested Cockatoo
From: "Ruth Parker" <>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 08:30:59 +1000
This is an adult bird without a tail.    First seen mid yesterday afternoon 1 m up an ash tree then later 3-4 m up a conifer species.
He has spent the night in the conifer and is able to move around it and appears to be finding some nourishment in it.
Wild birds come at intervals to “talk” to him.
I have just phoned the RSPCA/WIRES contact phone number from the web and I am told they cannot do anything unless he has been captured.
We have not attempted this  -  he seems a fit healthy bird at the moment apart from his injury  -  I have no idea how long it will take for him to be weak enough for me to catch him.
Any advice re this situation would be appreciated.
I will be home until 10 am then I have to work.  Will return late afternoon.
Thank you,
Ruth  &  Robert
0410 175 884