canberrabirds

From the Banana Lounge

To: "Canberra Birds" <>
Subject: From the Banana Lounge
From: "John Layton" <>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 20:16:12 +1000

Better than birding while pegging out washing is to delegate pegging out and set up banana lounge in sunny spot out of breeze, lay back and contemplate the azimuth.. After a while this morning my peaceful repose was sundered by a cacophony of cockatoos scattering across the sky. I lay still and watched; no point in rushing, and I soon made out a Wedge-tailed Eagle soaring some distance behind the cockies’ stampede. After the big raptor drew out of view, a smaller one appeared higher up. Could have been a Whistling Kite or a Little Eagle, but too high to put money on.

Between 10:30 and 11:15 AM I saw groups ( between c.4 & 8) of Yellow-faced Honeyeaters whizzing by coming from west and heading north east. Sam said that around noon there were about six White-eared Honeyeaters moving slowly through the garden. But by then I was absorbed in my new Louis L’Amour western.  Sometimes my interests in English literature take precedence over the birding stuff.

John Layton

Holt.