canberrabirds

Mixed Feeding Flocks

To: <>
Subject: Mixed Feeding Flocks
From: "Jack & Andrea Holland" <>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 21:54:24 +1100
have been a feature of my GBS site for the past month.  Last weekend it was still the same mix as I mentioned in my March Gang-gang column, with both species of pardalote and Silvereyes particularly conspicuous but impossible to count properly, even with binoculars.   Today after the rain they were joined by Grey Fantail, Willie Wagtail, Brown Thornbill, Superb Fairy-wren, House Sparrow and Red-browed Finch (the last-named the first for this GBS year).  This was the most active birds have been in my garden since the fires I reckon, impossible to look everywhere and see what birds were part of all the action.  32 species for the week which is the best for a long while but still well short of the 40+ I used to get in autumn.  Unfortunately Common Myna also lurking about, after being virtually absent in my garden for quite a while (usually just seen passing through) they have been constant and noisy visitors for the past couple of weeks.

Jack Holland