canberrabirds

RE:Precious Memory in Ainslie....

To: hot line <>
Subject: RE:Precious Memory in Ainslie....
From: terry gourlay <>
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2011 00:56:53 +0000
Dear All,
            Last  Wednesday at about 5PM,I was doing some maintenance on a home in Toms Crescent,Ainslie...Under the cover of a carport,attached to a home with a tiny courtyard Garden adjacent,I was  knocking up some Mud to bed a few Threshold tiles,I rose and turned,walked towards the house and about six paces from me,against a fence there rose a Brown Goshawk,by its size a female,by its colour a mature Bird....In her Talons she had a fluttering Crested Pigeon,she had trouble lifting this load and with the fence only a few feet away,impeding her progress she dropped the struggling Pigeon,she rose and perched,glaring down at me from the power lines,obviously still intent on the Hunt,despite the marauding Soldier Birds who gathered to be part of the action....Thinking the Poor old Pigeon was finished,and being a good sport,I grabbed the wounded Bird by its  exposed  tail, and pulled it from the sheltering undergrowth.With a flutter it broke free from its tail feathers,these were left in my hand,and scuttled off into some low herbage...Pity,but Nature is a Tough old Lady...Living in Hackett just ten minutes drive away,The observation intrigued me,while I do occasionally see a Collared Sparrow-Hawk It is some years since I saw a B.Goshawk,'though they were locally resident in the Past ...So another precious little vignette for the Head Space,
                                                                            Regards,Terry Gourlay.