canberrabirds

STDs in Weetangera

Subject: STDs in Weetangera
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2011 05:03:27 -0500
Martin
I think you have mentioned my main concern.
I have seen records on the COG Birdlist for quite a few years now of 'spotted doves' from Queanbeyan and from Tuggeranong, but on only 1 or 2 occassions in 36 years, both fairly recently, have I seen them in Belconnen. Both single birds.
So it does concern me to see 6.
I know from breeding doves they have 2 young per nest. So if it is a family, it has to be minimum 2 nests, I forgot to mention that.
I just have the feeling, from what I know from captive dove species, once the second clutch fledge the adult males become super aggressive towards the first clutch. The first clutch do start calling at a young age.
If so, the fact that 3 were calling, and fighting, and if the above is true, which seems a real possibility, this means they are successfully breeding in the locality.
With new establishment of weeds/pests there is often a period where the species establishes, very slowly, then reaches a critical mass and explodes. Much like happened with Common Mynas, and St Johns Wort..
WebSearch for 'sleeper species' for more evidence of this.
The amount of $ to eradicate 'sleeper species' before they expand, is minimal, whereas 'control' of established species is astronomical.
Benj