canberrabirds

The times they may be a -changing

To: martin butterfield <>
Subject: The times they may be a -changing
From: Denis Wilson <>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 07:47:52 +1100
Further to Martin's comment, I have seen the first few stragglers (leaders?) of the Yellow-faced Honeyeaters coming through Robertson. Remember, this species is not a resident in Robertson (no Eucalypt forests here). So any YfHs I see here are moving through from somewhere.

Also mixed feeding flocks, especially Silvereyes and Superb Fairywrens, Scrubwrens, with Grey Fantails dancing in the air above them. Olive-backed Orioles (also non-residents) are calling in the distance.
Interesting, my summer resident Rufous Fantails and Black-faced Monarchs are still present. I anticipate they will both drop off my lists shortly. Trouble is, they migrate silently, and not in large groups (unlike the YfHs) so one has to observe an "absence". So in advance I am reporting the Rufous Fans and the Monarchs are "still here".

Cheers

Denis Wilson