canberrabirds

NSW Snowy Mts (Thredbo) & South Coast (Narooma) - mid Jan 2011

To: Philip Veerman <>
Subject: NSW Snowy Mts (Thredbo) & South Coast (Narooma) - mid Jan 2011
From: martin butterfield <>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2011 06:42:23 +1100
My mind went on a (hopefully) brief trip when composing this message.  As shown in the database the Stilts were Black-winged rather than Banded.

Martin

On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 7:08 PM, martin butterfield <> wrote:
I am not a member of birding-aus so perhaps someone will need to forward this on.  I have a record on the COG Atlas and thus presumably the BA Atlas, dated 9 December 2007 showing inter alia:
  • 100 Black Swan (with dependent young);
  • 4 White necked Heron
  • 3 Banded Stilt
I can't remember the details of the visit - possibly something to do with a report of Banded Lapwings a little further North? - but I suspect those species means there was a fair level of water in the lagoon then.

I am intrigued by the reference to 'water weeds'.  Is this the reeds that provide shelter for breeding Ibis and the Australian Bitterns?

Martin