canberrabirds

Spotted doves

Subject: Spotted doves
From: "Jack & Andrea Holland" <>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2011 14:12:01 +1100
Through my observations while walking dogs through the area, Spotted Dove numbers at our end of Chapman/Rivett have stayed pretty stable over the past decade, with perhaps a small increase.  They can most often be located through their calls or sitting on wires etc round the Eugenia/Croton St and NW end of Perry Drive areas, where I estimate up to at least 3 each may be found.

They do move around a bit and at the beginning of this GBS year two, and on one occasion 4 birds, hung around our house for over 2 months.  I started to suspect they were breeding in my neighbour’s garden, when luckily they moved away as abruptly as they came.

Jack Holland