canberrabirds

Koels - why so patchy?

To: "'canberra birds'" <>
Subject: Koels - why so patchy?
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 09:02:58 +1100

Good morning T & D

The relationships between species, as affects distribution, does not seem to be all that well understood.  Some species occur ‘with’ other species;  some species avoid other species.   May I speculate?

The R Wattlebird is a very aggressive species.  I think it might be responsible for absence of the Noisy Miner from the strongly-defended garden territories of the wattlebird.  That is not to say that both species might not occur together in some places.

Let’s face it, from a bird point of view the ANBG is a strange place.  The available food and variety of habitats allows a concentration of adjoining and overlapping territories.  Students of the relevant species will know much more about that.   Fierce tussles between RWBs are commonplace, sometimes in the form of death grapples on the ground, where locked-together combatants can almost roll under your feet.  I have seen two examples of apparently permanent eye injuries (to wattlebirds, not birdwatchers) that I attribute to this.  Wattlebirds constantly chase other species.

I think koels are in suburbs where there is most food, but they will probably spread to other suburbs eventually.  However, they are harassed by wattlebirds, particularly the female koel.  I have seen several examples of wattlebird attacks causing koels to leave an area, at least temporarily  -  typically the female followed by the male.  Although koels are attracted to RWB nesting territories, I think the bot gardens are just too hot for them, from that point of view.

 Another point is that calling male koels are birds of habit, even using the same calling perch for weeks on end.  Therefore you are either in  a koel calling territory or you are not.  It is not as if the birds fly around calling all over the place, more or less randomly.